Products > MF > Features
Modifier's purpose is to provide a GUI model to administer file permissions
in Mac OS X. Mac OS X provides a limited interface to do this via the
Finder. However, this function limits the changeable attributes - to change
things like creation and modification dates, creators and types, invisbility,
and so on, Modifier is your app! As well, you can avoid those perplexing
and clunky Terminal commands! While Modifier is what some people would
call just another "Get Info" app, it is also much more. File
operations, in particular, are unique to Modifier, and so are other small
UI differences that other applications do not have. Modifier, also allows
you to create application "Droplets", miniature applications
that you create from within Modifier itself, that apply your predefined
attributes to files that are dropped on top of their icon in the Finder.
Modifier is moving in the direction of a full-fledged file browser application,
and it's new file browsing feature and multiple file info windows are
the first step.
What's new in 2.6.2:
- Added the ability to save out lists of files used in batch info windows.
What's new in 2.6.1:
- Fixed a small bug that caused crashes in batch info windows.
What's new in 2.6.0:
- Fixed that bug that's been dodging us for some time now - in single
info windows, if you were to attempt authentication while the program
was still calculating a size, Modifier would crash. This problem should
be fixed - if you find a recurrence, please report it.
- The file browser has had some general refinements - problems with
opening files selected to view in an info window have been fixed.
- Build numbering system has been changed. 2.6's build number is 2600
- the idea is primarily to put a little more pressure on myself to provide
updates as I go.
- Modifier can be used as a Get Info application for Path Finder (http://www.cocoatech.com/).
What's new in 2.5.3:
- Modifier is now invokable via the Services menu after its first launch.
Command-Shift-M will open an info window for selected filenames when
this menu item is selected.
- Fixed a bug with the Modify Selected menu item in the browser.
- Copy and move operations won't randomly strip things from your files.
What's new in 2.5.2:
- Fixed a problem with Droplets, on some configurations.
What's new in 2.5.1:
- Application Droplets allow you to create miniature applications that
apply predefined attributes to items dropped on top of their icon in
- Fixed a bug in the "Modify Selected" browser menu item.
What's new in 2.5.0:
- Info window code has been totally rewritten, is much faster, and the
window sports a new user interface, that has been considerably better
organized than it was in the past.
- Multiple file info windows allow you to view and edit attributes on
many files at one time. This is based on the same rewritten code base
of the single file info windows.
- The file browser integrates a way to find your files right in to the
- The new Check for Updates menu item allows you to keep current with
the most recent available version of Modifier.